Design Document - Writer candidates

Archived discussions related to Transport Empire. Read-only access only.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I think we have to take a reality shift now. When do 'we' want the DD to be finished in its rouh version (the 1st version).
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Hyronymus wrote:I think we have to take a reality shift now. When do 'we' want the DD to be finished in its rouh version (the 1st version).
My wish is that it will be finished untill summer (middle of Juni).

Perhaps we cna have a main crew of 2 persons that can make sub tasks avilable for the rest. Ie, on a wiki page list things that they need help with. And others can add their names after a task if they want to help. (and offcorse do the task too. :D )
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
PJayTycy
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by PJayTycy »

Hyronymus wrote:I think we have to take a reality shift now. When do 'we' want the DD to be finished in its rouh version (the 1st version).
Hyronymus, you can't expect anybody to have very much "free time". Writing the DD is a big task. We all "want" it to be finnished shortly, but zuu's estimate will probably be a good one. It's also one I would be able to work with. If the desired dateline is in 14 days, well...

When you wrote we should not post our limited time problems, I thought you meant to awaken all those who didn't post just because they don't have enough time to finish it in 2 weeks. Now it seems like you wanted to mute those.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

That wasn't my intention, Pjaytycy :oops: . I did indeed tried to wake people wo didn't reply yet but I also wanted this topic to be done. I think I may have choosen the wrong timepath for the DD myself but I honestly think noone here knew what a good 'ETA' would have been (I also asked to be corrected in my reply to uzurpator when I said 1 month, noone did however).
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Maybe we should also consider how long the DD will be. How many pages do people think it will become?
I think it will be at least 20 pages.
uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator
Transport Empire Moderator

Post by uzurpator »

150+ pages. probably more.
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
Hellfire
Transport Empire Developer

Post by Hellfire »

In response to Hyronymus' question: I'm willing to work on the DD, but note that school always comes first. Actually, I want to work on it, but let's just say that I've had a reality shift.

About the size: I think somewhere between 20 and 150 pages is reasonable. The exact number of pages is not that important. What's on them is more important.

Also, having a first rough version in May or June is possible, but it should (must) be finalized before September.
Feel free to contact me over Email! My current timezone: Europe/Amsterdam (GMT+1 or GMT+2)

Code: Select all

+------------Oo.------+
| Transport Empire -> |
+---------------------+
[ General TE Discussion ] [ TE Development ] [ TE Coding ]
Under construction...
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

So far we got these DD writer candidates: (correct me if I'm wrong.)
  • jfs
  • Hellfire
  • PjayTycy
  • Steve
  • uzurpator

Are there anyone more who are interested to write the DD?

If so, please, please post a message in this thread. If you can't or don't want to help writing the DD, I think it will be good if you could say that too, so that we know that.

So, login and make your thoghts heard!
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Hellfire

Post by Hellfire »

If you want to, I could add an election poll to this topic. ;)
Feel free to contact me over Email! My current timezone: Europe/Amsterdam (GMT+1 or GMT+2)

+------------Oo.------+
| Transport Empire -> |
+---------------------+
Under construction...
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

I don't really care who does it, as long as it's done.
I have no time at the moment anyway. I might buy a computer soon though so I can continue making models (it's been very quiet in that region).
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Hellfire wrote:If you want to, I could add an election poll to this topic. ;)
Well how should the election be made, two seperate elections one for the first person and one for the second, or just one where the two whith the highest score are elected?

And the election should be made by developers only?
Hellfire

Post by Hellfire »

Doesn't matter. As long as two persons are chosen.

+------------Oo.------+
| Transport Empire -> |
+---------------------+
Under construction...
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

I think that each person should cast two votes. Not on the same persons.

The ideal soulution would be a poll where each developer can vote twice, but not on the same option. As far as I know that is not possible on the forums.

what could be made is that we can have two seperate polls and ask people to aditionally to the voting post a message where they tell who they voted on, so that we can confirm that nobody cheats. The drawback is that the voting will not be a closed vote. A alternative is that someone everybody PM their votes to a team member, who should not tell anyone about the current result. But will count the result. The drawback of this idea is that it wont be realy secure, as this person can manipulate the result.

A third soulution is that we vote in two polls but keep our votings private, untill the poll is closed, and then to make your vote vaild you post who you voted on.

But ofcorce the simpliest sulotion would be to have a single poll where every developer can only cast one vote.

I think no matter which method, it should be held in the development forum.
Hellfire

Post by Hellfire »

zuu wrote:I think no matter which method, it should be held in the development forum.
Let's keep it in one topic then.

Could you make it? If people have to be added to the poll, you won't have to ask me or Chris to do that.

+------------Oo.------+
| Transport Empire -> |
+---------------------+
Under construction...
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Considere it done now. :D I recomend everyone to not post anything about the current result untill the voting is done, so that people that havn't voted yet wont read it before they vote.

If you dissagre with that simple rule, please post here.

I se no reason why comments would go in the voting thread so I suggest that all comments should go here.

And now, go and vote.
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

I reluctantly decline a nomination. As much as I'd like to help get this bit done, at least until June, I am at a critical point in the semester - major (and I really do mean major) assignment due in 4 weeks, exams in 6 weeks, for one of which I'll need to revisit the entire module - if I don't nail all three, I don't carry on and the last 3 years of my life will have been wasted, so failure really is not an option for me. However, I would have no problem in lending my support to the working group once it's formed, and helping out when I can, but I must stress that it will be a purely supporting role, rather than a central one.

Incidentally, it would probably better if we want to elect only two or three people, excluding any other candidates, to apply something like STV rather than one-member-one-vote. At least with preference voting systems, you always have a way to break a tie.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

I also want to completely retract my application for DD writer.
Though I really want to see this finished soon, and would like to be part of the process, I'm more interested in anime fansubbing. (One hobby before another...)
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Jfs: Ok, I will bring that to the meeting, if you won't come.

All: Shall we just take the result as it is (except that jfs won't be ellected, no matter what votes count he gets) or shall those who have voted on jfs be able to put their vote on someone else?

I don't know if it is possible to remove an option and free the votes that was casted on that post in phpBB. And eaven if it is possible, I think it is to close to the meeting, to do that.

I suggest that we use the result of the poll except that jfs cant be elected. (Not becuse how I voted, but becuse I think it is good if we can start get the DD writen)

Does anyone dissagre?
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

Having found that the database doesn't store which users voted for which option, and with the margin being 2 votes and their being 3 votes to recast, we can't reasonably keep the result as it is, since we can't be confident that had those three votes been for other people that the result would have been the same.

Before we revote, I need confirmation in this thread from the four people left that they still want to go ahead, plus any more candidates that may want to come forward.
PJayTycy
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by PJayTycy »

I still want to help out...

Return to “Transport Empire Development Archive”