Can't find newgrf directory or newgrf.cfg file, how to make

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Ransom
Engineer
Engineer

Can't find newgrf directory or newgrf.cfg file, how to make

Post by Ransom »

I'm new to this whole thing, I'm trying to install the US train set/stations/industries.....problem is, I dont see a newgrf directory OR a newgrfw.cfg file in my TTD directory. How am I supposed to add a line of text commands to a file that doesn't exist? and if Im suppose to create it, how do I make a .cfg file? I'm running 2.5 beta 9
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
WWTBAM

Re: Either I'm stupid...or....

Post by WWTBAM »

To create it, just create a newgrf.txt and change its extension to .cfg or if you have hide known extensions off then just save it as newgrf.cfg.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
Ransom
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ransom »

robotboy wrote:To create it, just create a newgrf.txt and change its extension to .cfg or if you have hide known extensions off then just save it as newgrf.cfg.
maybe this whole thing ain't for me. How do you save it as a .cfg file? Only option I have is .txt

And how come I don't have any of the files that these set instructions say should already be there? Frustrating? yeah, to say the least.

Here are the files in my TTDX folder, I had to delete something called TTDLOADW.OVL when installing the 2.5 beta 9 patch.

Comeng 523M
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Comeng 523M »

Maybe you should try a configuration program. TTDXC is my favorite personally, though many write the command file themselves.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Ransom wrote:How do you save it as a .cfg file? Only option I have is .txt
You should have another option for "all". Select that, then on the file name line enter newgrfw.cfg
Csaboka
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Csaboka »

You can also force the .cfg extension by using quotes. In the Save dialog of Notepad, enter "newgrfw.cfg" (in qoutes) to the file name box, then click on Save. This way, it won't append a .txt extension to the filename.
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.—Philip K. Dick
Ransom
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ransom »

what I ended up doing was just copying the ttdpatch.cfg file, renaming it, and deleting all its contents, lol.

But that still didn't work. I created the newgrf directory, put all the new grf's in there, and even put the right command lines in the newgrfw.cfg file. I was able to see the options for the new grf's in game under the options menu, however no visual changes ever took place, and the stations never loaded any cargo now. So I totally deleted everything I had related to TTD and I'm going to start from scratch again. Jesus this is confusing.
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

Ransom wrote:what I ended up doing was just copying the ttdpatch.cfg file, renaming it, and deleting all its contents, lol.

But that still didn't work. I created the newgrf directory, put all the new grf's in there, and even put the right command lines in the newgrfw.cfg file. I was able to see the options for the new grf's in game under the options menu, however no visual changes ever took place, and the stations never loaded any cargo now. So I totally deleted everything I had related to TTD and I'm going to start from scratch again. Jesus this is confusing.
Ok, ttdpatch.cfg should be auto generated by TTDpatch on startup if it doesn't exist in the TTD directory, any changes here will have an immediate effect on your saved games.
Please note that newgrfw.cfg will not immediately effect saved games (unless the grf has been updated or removed since it), you will need to go to the spanner and select "New Graphic Status", and change the active grf files there for that saved game.

Please also note that if you have 'selectgoods' on you will need a train with a wagon of the cargo type you want to take from that station, (assuming it can get it from an industry or town), Ie. no cargo will appear until a train of cargo x has visited it.

Hope that helps,
~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
Ransom
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ransom »

Lakie wrote:
Ransom wrote:what I ended up doing was just copying the ttdpatch.cfg file, renaming it, and deleting all its contents, lol.

Ok, ttdpatch.cfg should be auto generated by TTDpatch on startup if it doesn't exist in the TTD directory, any changes here will have an immediate effect on your saved games.
Please note that newgrfw.cfg will not immediately effect saved games (unless the grf has been updated or removed since it), you will need to go to the spanner and select "New Graphic Status", and change the active grf files there for that saved game.

Please also note that if you have 'selectgoods' on you will need a train with a wagon of the cargo type you want to take from that station, (assuming it can get it from an industry or town), Ie. no cargo will appear until a train of cargo x has visited it.

Hope that helps,
~ Lakie
Ok thanks. ttdpatch.cfg is there, so thats not a problem. I was just confused that all these graphics sets were saying to modify newgrfw.cfg and it wasn't there to begin with, same with the newgrf directory.

So the cargo load at the station is actually a feature? Im guessig it lets you place the stations and build track without rushing and having cargo pileup waiting while your building, correct? Didn't think about that, thanks for the clarification.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Programming in Notepad!? I suppose that's doable, but I'd prefer to have a more powerful undo. It's just fine for editing config files, though.
Ransom wrote:So the cargo load at the station is actually a feature?
Only if that switch is on. If selectgoods is off, and cargo does not begin arriving basically immediately, then it's a bug.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Ransom
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ransom »

DaleStan wrote:Programming in Notepad!? I suppose that's doable, but I'd prefer to have a more powerful undo. It's just fine for editing config files, though.
Ransom wrote:So the cargo load at the station is actually a feature?
Only if that switch is on. If selectgoods is off, and cargo does not begin arriving basically immediately, then it's a bug.
ok thanks. Where do I find if its on/off? In the ttdpatch.cfg?
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Yes.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Ransom wrote:ok thanks. Where do I find if its on/off? In the ttdpatch.cfg?
Hi Ransom.
Where this appears to be your first experience with ttdpatch, I highly recommend going through ttdpatch.cfg line by line. It controls virtually everything that the patch does. There are features you may want and others that you don't want. That's the place to turn them on and off. While browsing the cfg file, refer to the manual often. It goes into more detail about what the switches do. The link to the manual is in the left column on this page:

http://www.ttdpatch.net/

Enjoy your trip into virtual transportation reality. :wink:
Ransom
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Can't find newgrf directory or newgrf.cfg file, how to make

Post by Ransom »

Guys, I just wanted to say that I finally got it :lol: I got home from work, sat down, took my time, read through the installation stickies STEP BY STEP, and found what was wrong. I never installed the 'all new graphics' from TTDPatch.net, thats why there was no newgrf directory or .cfg file. But, I got it now, and have a couple sets going on (NARS, US stations & Industries stations, and Total Town Replacement).

Thanks for all your help! Consider this topic done :D

Return to “Graphics Development”